Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Prodigal Eater Returns

I was talking about my blog to a coworker and I realized it's been FOREVER since I posted. This is likely due to the fact that I haven't eaten at any more Top 100 restaurants for several reasons. The 2 biggest reasons are money and time - eating out is expensive and most of the restaurants left are in Uptown. If you've read any of my previous posts, you know I don't like Uptown. However, since discovering the light rail is actually pretty easy, I'm hoping to sample a few more dishes once I add some more eating-out-money into my budget. This evening, I am posting about the Fish Market in Fort Mill, SC. This restaurant is not on the Top 100 list and I don't have any personal pictures to go with my post, but I'm trying to steal some from the website.

I went to the Fish Market with my cousins and my aunt the other night and it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. I ate so much that my jeans felt super tight when I left, but I never regretted it one second. This restaurant has been around for awhile but I honestly never even knew it was a restaurant - I thought it was some sort of meeting house in Baxter Village. Boy, was I mistaken!

For my appetizer, I had a cup of the she-crab soup. I've always been hesitant to eat she-crab soup because it talks about sherry. I've never even had sherry, but I thought it would be some sort of sweet, alcohol-tasting soup. This is, of course, a ridiculous idea but one I've clung to nonetheless. For Father's Day, my dad had some she-crab soup when we all went out to lunch and it was pretty awesome so I was up for trying some at the Fish Market. My cousin Mary said it was the best she's had outside of Charleston. Oh...my....goodness.....It's not often I do this, but every single bite of that soup I took, I said "mmmm" under my breath. It was so wonderful - perfectly creamy and warm with a hint of black cracked pepper. I wanted to lick the bowl clean.

For dinner, I had the wedge salad and the appetizer lobster mac and cheese. The wedge salad was, of course, a huge wedge of lettuce that came with bleu cheese dressing, bits of real bacon, and pecans. I wasn't quite sure what the pecans were doing there because they didn't add too much to it (maybe if they were flavored?) but the salad itself was wonderful. It wasn't even that complicated - just really fresh and super good. My lobster mac and cheese was fabulous. It could have MAYBE had a bit more cheese on it, but that's just because I love super creamy mac and cheese. But seriously - I'm not complaining. This meal was so perfect. The only part that I didn't like? I had no room for dessert. I will most certainly be going back there for another meal. Dinner is pretty pricey but lunch is really reasonable. For lunch, they have offerings like fish tacos, crab cake sandwiches, and a lobster wrap. For dinner, I'm definitely going to have to try the oven-roasted grouper with mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, and black truffle cream sauce....or maybe the market fish and chips - fried in tempura batter....or maybe the shrimp and grits....oh my gosh, I have to stop. My mouth is watering!

Pictures (stolen) from www.fishmarketbarandgrill.com

Front of restaurant


Chilean sea bass

No comments:

Post a Comment